Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Questions

From reading blogs, taking notes, talking with people, and from that moment right before you think you can sleep that your brain decides it is going to start making lists and being inquisitive...I have made a list of questions to ask the professionals. Some have been answered by my St. Jude rep. Others will have to wait for the doctor, and then some yet will wait for the neurosurgeon performing the permanent implant if the trial works out. I wanted to post them here for both the purpose of helping future recipients, as well as to get feedback from stim veterans who may have additional questions I should look into.
* Those applicable to the trial

  • * What is the name/model of the stimulator I will be receiving and how will it differ from the trial?
  • * Will a representative be present during the procedure?
    I was told my rep would be at my appointment, though I was made aware they work as a team and only differ in personality not skill and training...so if she couldn't make it for any reason, a colleague would be there in her stead.
  • Details of surgeon who will perform the permanent implantation and how far out are they scheduling?
    I was able to find out this info. Currently, his scheduling is a few months out.
  • Where will the IPG be placed and why? (Abdomen, Chest, Buttock, etc)
    This is something I will discuss with the neurosurgeon. Though there are equally good/neg points for each location, and I'm finding a lot of this decision comes down to personal choice.
  • Will the battery be rechargeable or non-rechargeable and what is the expected lifespan?
    The battery will require regular charging depending on usage and last anywhere from 5-10 years based on how much stimulation is required on a regular basis.
  • Will there be stress loops added in the wire slack for the leads?
  • Will Round or Paddle leads be used?
    For the trial the leads will be round, as they are inserted via a needle delivery system. The type may change for the final procedure.
  • * What type of anasthesia/twilight sedation will be used during trial and/or implant surgery?
    (Basically, what will I be on, aware of, and why.)
    I was told Propofol would be used during the trial. I'll find out more that morning.
  • * Post surgical pain control?
    (Making sure this is something that is A.Effective and B.I can tolerate as well as when I will receive the RX to possibly have it ahead of time)
  • *  Will I be given prophylactic antibiotics?
    (again checking whether this can be filled ahead of time)
  • *  Wound care?
    (Including obtaining supplies and what can be provided as opposed to purchased)
  • * What will my physical limitations be?
  • * What is my expected healing as well as recovery time?
  • Has the doctor/should the doctor have ordered anything that I need to be sure I have before leaving the hospital?
  • * Will any/all questions regarding programming of the unit and how to change it/turn stim on-off or similar items are covered, understood, or written down before leaving?
    (Also including what actions, security gates, microwaves, etc., should I be concerned about)
    The rep from St. Jude will make sure there is sufficient working knowledge for the trial period.
I will revisit this list of questions later to fill in the blanks.

On a sidenote: Though I initially would have liked my trial sooner, I'm glad I have a few weeks yet. I have developed the sniffles and a sore throat. (Probably because the only think I really need to do between now and then is NOT GET SICK) Here's hoping it is just a cold that passes quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment